Maple Ridge Burrards 12 @ Victoria Shamrocks 10 - OT Game Recap

Maple Ridge Burrards 12 @ Victoria Shamrocks 10 - OT

Game Recap

By: Lucas Wilson

The 100.3 The Q Centre featured a similar game to what Shamrocks Nation had experienced the week before. Only this time, the Shamrocks weren’t able to come away with a victory. After going back and forth with the Maple Ridge Burrards for three periods and overtime, the Shamrocks dropped their second game in as many nights. After seventy minutes of play, the final score was 12-10 in favour of the Burrards.

The Burrards came out firing early. Just seven minutes into the game, the Shamrocks found themselves down 4-0. After missing three games, Shamrocks captain Corey Small took matters into his own hands and responded with a goal of his own less than a minute later. With just over five minutes to play in the period, Small scored two more goals to draw the Shamrocks to within one. Cody Hagedorn settled into the game, and made a series of key saves to keep the score at 4-3 heading at the end of the first.

The Shamrocks found their stride offensively in the second, with a far more balanced attack. After Jeff Shattler and Rhys Duch traded goals with Luke Gillespie and Coady Adamson of the Burrards, the Shamrocks took control. Shattler and Duch each added another goal, and Paul Brebber sniped one past Frank Scigliano to give the Shamrocks an 8-6 lead. The end of the period also sparked some rough stuff between the teams. Cory Conway showed that he is not just a premier set-up man, and took exception to Zack Porter’s slashing in a small scrum after the whistle. The fans at the Q Centre approved, and the Shamrocks took their two-goal lead into the intermission.

The third period also started well for the Shamrocks. Greg Harnett barreled through the Burrards defense and scored just seven seconds into the third. The Burrards would respond with two quick ones past Hagedorn to once again make it a one-goal game. After Adam Brown finished an impressive rush to restore the lead to two, the Burrards responded in a big way. Mike Mallory quickly scored to make it 10-9, which set the stage for an intense finish with twelve minutes to play. For the next ten minutes the teams would exchange scoring chances, but both goalies held strong. Unfortunately for the Shamrocks, it was the Burrards who broke through, and they tied the game with just less than two minutes to play. With thirty seconds to play, Shamrocks head coach Bob Heyes called a timeout to put together a game plan to break the tie. As time was winding down, Hagedorn ran to the bench for an extra attacker. After a Small shot was stopped, Scigliano launched a ball down the floor at an empty net. Hagedorn ran back onto the floor at the last second to dive and block the shot, and send the game into overtime.

The Shamrocks offence couldn’t find any luck, and the Burrards capitalized on the fact that the Shamrocks had played the night before. Goals from Coady Adamson and Aaron Davis made it 12-10, and that was how it ended. The Burrards went to 3-0, and the Shamrocks fell to 3-2.

The next game is at home game on Friday, June 10, when the Shamrocks take on the Langley Thunder and Salute to Local Heroes presented by Saunders Subaru.  Details on this game and to get tickets can be found at the tickets tab above.


Complete Game stats:

Victoria Shamrocks regular season stats to date;

Victoria Shamrocks player stats:

Game video Highlites:

Next Game: Home, Fri. June 10 vs Langley Thunder, 7:45pm, the Q Centre; Salute to local heroes presented by Saunders Subaru