Shamrocks Draft 6 in 2022 Graduating Junior Player Draft
The Victoria Shamrocks made some exciting new additions to their roster Thursday night by drafting six players in the 2022 Western Lacrosse Association Graduating Junior Player Draft.
With their compensatory pick prior to the first full round of the draft, the 'Rocks drafted local product Liam Phillips, a dynamic lefty-defence/transition player, standing at 6' 0" and weighing in at 185lbs. He was described by his Junior A coaches as an outstanding athlete who is very fast and a great teammate, He plays in the NNLL for the expansion Panther City Lacrosse Club.
He was followed by:
- Justyn Gurney, a 6' 2", 195 lbs left-handed defender out of the Delta Jr Islanders, a former WHL player with the Everett Silvertips, currently attending Wilfrid Laurier University;
- Trevayne Hunter, a 5' 10" 175lbs left-handed offense player from the Langley Jr Thunder, currently attending Montevallo University;
- Colin Jeffrey, a goaltender from Shawnigan Lake, played Junior with the Port Coquitlam Saints;
- Jon Greig, a 6' 0" 190lbs right-handed defender from the Delta Jr Islanders;
- Ryan Atkinson, a 5' 11", 185lbs left-handed goaltender from right here in Victoria with the Jr Shamrocks
"We're very pleased to welcome these six players to our team," said General Manager Chris Welch following his 15th draft in that position. "It's an exciting blend of size, speed, and skill; we're anticipating this group will add to a tremendous competition at training camp in April."
The Shamrocks kick off their 2022 season with a home game against the New Westminster Salmonbellies at home on Friday, May 27th - stay tuned to VictoriaShamrocks.com and social media for all the latest information and news.